Care Act Advocacy

Do you need help to be involved in decisions about your care needs? An advocate can help you be heard, understand your choices and make your own decisions.

Find out about how an advocate can help you, and how to get in touch with the team.

Independent advocates are available to support you to plan for and be involved in your:

  • Care assessments
  • Care and support planning
  • Care and support reviews
  • Safeguaring enquiries
  • Safeguarding adult reviews, previously known as serious case reviews

Care and Support Advocates will work with you to help you make your own decisions, will support you to understand the care and support process you will be involved in and?to tell others about your wishes and feelings to inform discussions about your future care and support needs.

Changes brought in by the Care Act means that any decisions about your care will consider your well-being and what is important to you so that you can stay healthy and remain as independent as possible. To do this, it is important for you to be fully involved in decisions about your care and support needs.

What will an advocate do?

An advocate can support you to:

  • Understand what is happening
  • Understand your choices and make your own decisions
  • Tell others what you want and about your views and feelings
  • Make sure you get your rights
  • Make sure that plans say what you need them to say

Decisions might have been made about you that you are not happy with. Your advocate can help you write a report about the things you don’t like. The advocate will write the report for you if you are not able to.

Who can get care and support advocacy?

You may be able to work with an advocate if you are:

  • An adult who needs care and support
  • A carer of an adult
  • A carer of a young person who is about to start using adult services
  • A young person who is about to start using adult services.


You find it very hard to:

  • Understand what is happening and the choices that you have
  • Decide what care and support you need
  • Tell people what you want


  • You do not have any friends or family available (or who feel able) to support you

Advocacy is available if you live at home, in a care home or hospital, or if you are in prison.

Are you looking for information for a friend or relative?

Independent advocacy is normally available for people who do not have any friends or family (an appropriate individual) available to support and facilitate their active involvement in their own care and support process.

Download our information sheet about who can be an ‘appropriate individual’ and when exceptions to this can be made.

Care Act – Friends and Family Information Sheet

How to get an advocate

If you are not sure whether you can get a care and support advocate, you can get advice from the Total Voice?team, and our contact details are at the top of the page.

Referrals can be made by authorised staff in the Social Care team. If you prefer, you can speak directly with someone in the Social Care Team and they can help you understand more.

Cambridgeshire Peterborough
Address:Shire Hall, Castle St, Cambridge CB3 0AP
Telephone: 0345 045 5202
8am to 6pm Monday to Friday
9am to 1pm on Saturday
Address:? Bayard Place, Broadway, Peterborough, PE1 1FZ
Telephone: 01733 747474
8am to 6pm Monday to Friday
Social Care emergencies: 01733 234724